Tuesday 25 August 2009

Typography Pop-Up Book

This is one of my favorite book as it marries two of my secret guilty pleasures, pop-up books and typography. I have in the past attempted to make my own pop-up book with varying success. I have a healthy respect for anyone able to get tricky, fiddly paper mechanisms to work to create exuberant creative 3D designs. Whilst this is a simple alphabet book, the beauty lies in the way it illustrates the construction of type. It shows how stems and bowls are related from one letter to the next, it also highlights similarities between the make up of the different letterform Y can be created by removing the leg from the letterform X, or E can be created by removing the arm from the letterform F etc. My personal favorite is the letterform W which can be created with a vertical reflection of the letterform V.
This gives an insight into the way in which typeface design can be done, by repeating these forms within letterforms in the same typeface you can quickly design a whole typeface which is uniform and coherent.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Book! I am definitely a big fan of the V and the W. nice

    ReplyDelete