Wednesday 30 September 2009

I think he may have hated women

As I mentioned earlier I visited Les Musee des Beaux Arts in Nice and was introduced to the work of Gustav-Adolf Mossa for the first time. His work is hung in a small room and immediately on walking I loved it. The drawings are morbid and fascinating, accompanied by french text you don't need to be fluent to know that there is something very PG18 going on. Most drawings feature cat-like women, blood covered male orgies and heart ripped from still warm chests. It's Emo but 1950's and far more attractive to look at than a My Chemical Romance album cover. On getting on to the internet and doing further research I was able to find out that Mossa was a key member of the Symbolist movement, into decadentism, orientalism, spiritism and satanism, love of masques and masquerades, androgynity or hermaphradotism, to name but a few themes evident in his work. In short he likes theatrical weird stuff, which is great, I love the drama but his drawing are more than disturbing.
This one is called Lui a portrait of Elegabalus, preparing for a dance performance, in the background, the audience, men decked out in evening dress, are waiting to see his performance. Inscribed with the words "Et alors, il contrefaisait la voix et les cris des jeunes filles auxquelles l’on fait violence,” ‘And then, he imitated the voice and the cries of the girls that he had raped.’ Weird but I like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment